Darienne Lake, also known as Miss Darienne Lake is the stage name of Greg Meyer, an American drag performer from Rochester, New York, aged 46 years old. Meyer is best known for being a contestant on Season 6 of RuPaul's Drag Race, and being the Drag Mother to Season 2 contestant Pandora Boxx.
"They better widen the doorways and reinforce the runway, honey, because a BIG girl's in the house!"
RuPaul's Drag Race
Darienne had a rough run on Season 6 of Rupaul's Drag Race, being the one of the first contestants in her group to lip-sync in the bottom two, and receiving many harsh and negative critiques from the judges.
Darienne was also profiled as being a "Villain" on the show, often being jealous of fellow contestant BenDeLaCreme, and having a poor attitude and making "snarky" remarks towards other contestants. This has led to a backlash against her among many fans of the show accusing her of being a "bitch" and believing that she should have been eliminated sooner.
Darienne's runway looks received harsh criticism from fans of the show, with some calling them a "Pantone color swatch book of sequined trashbags." Many fans believed that her runway outfits were not up to the same standards as other queens.
On Episode 11, "Glitter Ball", after a second lip-sync against fellow contestant BenDeLaCreme, Darienne lake was chosen to stay in the competition, and BenDeLaCreme was eliminated causing a firestorm of outraged and confused viewers on social media outlets, to comment and criticize RuPaul of making the wrong elimination choice, believing that Darienne Lake should have been eliminated instead. The day after the airing of that episode, Darienne posted a link on her facebook account reading: "Show how much you hate me by buying Ben's T-shirt".
Drag Name Origin
When she was first painted up, the queens said her name should be Tracy Turnblad because she looked like Ricki Lake from Hairspray. She didn’t want someone else’s name so they suggested Darien Lake—Ricki Lake’s love child with the amusement park between Rochester and Buffalo. She thought, “Well, I am two tons of fun,” and spelled it as Darienne Lake so she wouldn’t get a cease and desist order. She actually thought of using names of eyeshadow colors like Dusty Rose or Heather Sky.
- Darienne Lake and BenDeLaCreme are one of three pairs of queens to lip sync against each other twice, the other pairs being Alaska and Katya, as well as BenDeLaCreme and Shangela.
- Darienne Lake is one of only two queens competing in a regular season to lip sync in a double shantay episode having already landed in the bottom two before, the other being Eureka O'Hara in Season 10.
- Darienne Lake is the only queen to appear in RuPaul's music video with the placing of 4th. Every queen from Season 7 who placed 4th would get cut out of the music video
- Darienne Lake's drag mother is Naomi Kane, who is also the drag mother of Mrs. Kasha Davis.
- Darienne Lake is one of the five queens so far that has never lost a bottom two lip sync (not counting winners), the other queens being Rebecca Glasscock, Jujubee, Willam and Kameron Michaels.
- Darienne Lake is one of the only queens to lip sync a total of four times during their original run on the show, preceded by Coco Montrese of Season 5, and followed by Kameron Michaels of Season 10.
- Darienne Lake is tied with Carmen Carrera for the most below-safe challenge performances in a single season, placing either low or bottom two in six out of the ten episodes she was present.
4th: Darienne Lake • 5th: BenDeLaCreme (Ms. Congeniality) • 6th Joslyn Fox • 7th: Trinity K. Bonet • 8th: Laganja Estranja • 9th: Milk • 10th: Gia Gunn • 11th: April Carrión • 12th: Vivacious • 13th & 14th: Magnolia Crawford & Kelly Mantle
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales • Miles Davis Moody • Simon Sherry-Wood