Raven is the drag name of David Petruschin, a professional drag queen, makeup artist, performer, and comedian from Riverside, California. He competed in the second season of RuPaul's Drag Race, placing runner-up. He later went on to compete in RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race, paired with Jujubee, but controversially came in second place again.
He is a huge fan-favorite and one of the most popular contestants ever to enter on RuPaul's Drag Race.
Raven was known on the show for his wit, his fashion sense, his fierce runway walks and his performances, including his lip-syncs.
Vanity Fair listed Raven as drag queen of 2000’s decade.
Drag Name Origin
He used to be a gogo boy and went by the name of Phoenix, because he likes winged creatures. When he started doing drag he was deciding whether to be Raven or Phoenix. His friends suggested Raven is more unique and androgynous. He also didn’t want a female name where people would call him when he is out of drag in the public.
Raven was close to snatching the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar", but lost it to Tyra Sanchez.
The final challenge was to put together a music video for RuPaul's "Jealous of My Boogie" and to show off their final runway outfits for the season.
Raven was positively critiqued for having consistency throughout the whole competition, including his fashion sense and was told he has "superstar" quality.
During the final lip-sync, Tyra gave an over-the-top performance, outshined Raven's act and Raven lost the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar", leaving Raven to be the runner-up.
- He is of Russian decent. Contrary to popular belief, Raven is not Jewish.
- He was raised Mormon, and is still an official member, but is inactive and has openly displayed disinterest in the faith.
- Raven came out as gay to his mother on Mother's Day.
- He has two dogs named Blu and Binki.
- Before gaining a full drag career, David worked for MAC cosmetic and a freelance makeup artist.
- He is best friends with Jujubee.
- Throughout his two seasons on the show, Raven lip synced a total of six times. He is tied with Detox and Katya for the record of most times lip syncing on the show.
- Raven is the second queen to make it to the finale without winning a single main challenge. Coincidentally, her teammate Jujubee was the first to do this on their original season.
- He used to work as a go-go dancer.
- One of Raven's inspirations from music is Madonna. Others are Courtney Love, Debbie Herry & Terri Nunn.
- Raven/David owns over 32 sets of contact lenses with different colors and styles.
- David was inspired by his mom to do makeup, he always watched his mom do her makeup.
- Can take up to 3 hours to transform from David to Raven.
- Started drag in 2002.
- Raven made a cameo in America’s Next Top Model, Season 8.
- Raven is considered to be the Allison Harvard (from America's Next Top Model) of Drag Race due to both of them becoming a runner up on both seasons they competed in.
- Raven was Mathu Andersen’s first and only choice to take on his legacy.
- Raven’s first ever international tour was a U.K. tour in spring 2017, with his bestie Jujubee.
- "My name is David. In drag when I've got on tits and tights I go by Raven."
- "I don't carry a purse, I stick it all in my tits."
- "I like to be that mysterious, dark, ice queen. I think I have a look that people might be a little intimidated by."
- "Am I a 10? A perfect 10!"
- "Nicole got picked last because this is a sexy contest and she's not sexy."
- "To be in a room full of men, I can't f***ing wait!"
- "I realized it didn't rain, but it was enough to buy a nice dinner at The Sizzler or something."
- "I think I can sell ice to an Eskimo, but, not dressed as a f***ing chicken."
- "YES! Thank you Jesus!" - Saved from elimination after the previous two times in a row.
- "Nicole's gone, praise the lord."
- "First of all I ain't making out with nobody here, second of all I am NOT making out with you!" - Referring to Nicole Paige Brooks
- "She had no country, she don't own no country, she's as big as a country." - Referring to Mystique
- "I'm not getting married. 'Cause I'm a bitter bitch."
- "I'll have it hanging out for you then." - Offering to show off her butt to Terri Nunn.
- "Everyone thinks you're pretty? I do think you're pretty, I think you have a beautiful face... for Radio." - To Tatianna
- "Her interview was sh**, her look was sh**, her bookcover was sh**, Her trying to launch and sell the book to the judges was sh**, she's sh**."
- "I wouldn't wear it, but for you, it's cute."
- "I'm a man in a dress."
- "She looks like a 99c store mess." - Referring to Tatianna.
- "I'm a psychological woman."
- "I was giving Michelle Pfeiffer bitch. When I was looking at myself in that mirror, I was like "I look f***ing good."
- “If I were to win RuPaul’s Drag Race, it will help to show people that drag’s cool. Cause it’s f***ing cool. Drag is cool.”
- “Keep your eyes on the stars… You will never be one!”
- "Mimi Mother-f***ing ImFurst walks up in this bitch. Why?"
- "Jujubee is here! And she's looking hot in some red hair!"
- "At this point, I couldn't give a sh** because I'm trying to win!"
- "I got a sassy attitude wit humor, I am an all-star!"
- "Of the shit that I've seen, you don't have that many." - Referring to Mimi's fans.
There have been many rumors going around that Raven has had several plastic surgery procedures not only to her face, but on her body as well.
He has confirmed that he has nothing but small facial work procedures done and that's all. David has only had injections of collagen in his lips and once below his eyes in his cheeks.
David did not get plastic surgery in his lips for drag. David felt that all his life, he never had lips and he did it just to get some more lip.
During an interview, David stated that he would not change his appearance permanently in any way to improve the look of Raven. Any past or future procedures would be for David as David.
- Raven's Facebook
2nd: Raven & 3rd: Jujubee
4th: Tatianna • 5th: Pandora Boxx (Miss Congeniality) • 6th: Jessica Wild • 7th: Sahara Davenport • 8th: Morgan McMichaels • 9th: Sonique • 10th: Mystique Summers • 11th: Nicole Paige Brooks • 12th: Shangela Laquifa Wadley
Emanuel Palmer • Max "The Body" Philisaire
Team Shad: Chad Michaels & Shannel • Team Rujubee: Raven & Jujubee • Team Yarlexis (5th): Alexis Mateo & Yara Sofia • Team Latrila (6th): Manila Luzon & Latrice Royale • Team Brown Flowers (7th): Nina Flowers & Tammie Brown • Team Mandora (8th): Pandora Boxx & Mimi Imfurst
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales