Sharon Needles is the stage name of Aaron Coady, an American drag performer, recording artist, and winner of Season 4 of RuPaul's Drag Race. A self-described "stupid genius, reviled sweetheart, and PBR princess," Needles rose to prominence on the fourth season of the Logo reality competition where she quickly became a fan favorite.
Sharon's real name is Aaron Coady. Sharon Needles' name originated when Sharon and her brother were trying to come up with an offensive play on words, thus the name Sharon Needles was born. Sharon had a rough childhood growing up in Newton, Iowa, where she dealt with anti-gay views on a daily basis. She eventually relocated to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 2004 to pursue her love of drag.
Sharon was in a long-term relationship with fellow drag queen, Alaska Thunderfuck, during the course of season four. On the show, it was revealed by Sharon that Alaska had auditioned for all four seasons of the show and had never made it. Sharon had only auditioned for her season and got selected right away. She felt guilty for this but eventually overcame it with the help of Alaska, RuPaul, and her fellow Queens.
Though her relationship with Alaska did not last, she is now engaged to a special FX artist, Chad O'Connell. They have been going strong for years now. On October 31, 2017, Sharon and Chad got matching tattoos. The date 'Oct31' was tattooed on their left ring finger.
Drag Name Origin
Sharon Needles is a play on “sharing needles”.
As a teenager, she would move from city to city and changed her name every time, including Penelope Pumpkin, Pixie Stix, Franky Free-clinic, Randy Retarded, and Nixon Cuts. She was always interested in the play with word names. She and her brother would get stoned and try to come up with the most offensive drag names. It was a toss-up between Crystal Meth and Sharon Needles. Sharon is like your mom’s name—it’s so boring and unglamorous. When you pair it with Needles, it’s funny and has a great ring to it. The statement of Sharon Needles is horribly crass with the tie to drugs and diseases. Back then there was no Google, so there wasn’t a way of knowing how many other queens came up with the same name. She always says Sharon Needles is like a governor—there’s one in every state, but she’s the President!
RuPaul's Drag Race
During the course of the season, Sharon endeared herself to both fans and judges with her spooky aesthetic, quick wit, and humble attitude. She dazzled the judges each week with her appearances on the runway.
Sharon was one of the final three girls alongside fellow queens Phi Phi O'Hara and Chad Michaels. The three performed in the music video for RuPaul's song "Glamazon". On April 30, 2012, Sharon Needles was crowned America's Next Drag Superstar at the RuPaul's Drag Race Season 4 Reunion special.
RuPaul's Drag Race Stats
|Season Competed:||Season 4|
|Ranking:||1st Place (Winner)|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (ep. 11)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||4 (ep. 1, 3, 9, 11)|
|Times in Bottom Two:||1 (ep. 8)|
- Sharon is the winner of Season 4.
- Sharon held the record for the most main challenges won in one season by one contestant, with a total of four main challenge wins, for several years. This record was eventually beaten by BenDeLaCreme during All Stars 3, who won 5 challenges in 6 episodes. This makes her the season winner with the most main challenge wins.
- Sharon won the main challenges in episode 1 ("RuPocalypse Now!"), episode 3 ("Glamazons vs. Champions"), episode 9 ("Frock the Vote!"), and episode 11 ("The Fabulous Bitch Ball").
- In episode 5, "Snatch Game", Sharon portrayed panel judge Michelle Visage. She was praised for her portrayal but did not win the challenge.
- Sharon won only one mini-challenge during her season, in episode 11. She never once won the role of team captain.
- The prizes Sharon won for winning her season included a headlining spot on Logo's Drag Race Tour featuring Absolut Vodka, a one-of-a-kind trip, a lifetime supply of NYX Cosmetics, a cash prize of $100,000, and the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar."
- Sharon is the first contestant in series history to win the $100,000 grand prize, which at the time was the highest cash prize amount ever awarded on the show and is the current amount awarded to season winners from season 4 and onward.
- Sharon is the first Caucasian season winner in series history.
- At the time, Sharon was dating Season 5 Runner-up Alaska, but eventually the two broke up due to complications of their relationship, but still remain good friends.
Sharon was initially chosen to be a part of RuPaul's Drag Race: All Stars by the fans. However, due to the fact that she was chosen as the champion of season four and was extremely busy, she recorded a Facebook message to her fans that while she was flattered, she would not take part in the competition. Instead, fan favorite Pandora Boxx would be taking her place.
Following the show, Sharon has continued to make drag appearances across the US and Canada. She is currently serving as a host on Logo TV for a month of horror films. She is also a spokesperson for PETA, as she is a vegetarian. She also had a day named "Sharon Needles Day" in Pittsburgh on June 12, 2012. She performed as Dr. Frankenfurter in Texas for a limited run of the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
She is playing in a theater version of The Craft along with Peaches Christ, Alaska Thunderfuck, and Honey Mahogany. She has also recorded an album with people she admires, such as Amanda Lepore, Jane County (first transgender woman in a punk rock band) and RuPaul.
On New Year's Eve (2012), Needles debuted an unreleased song titled "Dead Girls Don't Say No" at Blue Moon Bar, which would later appear on Sharon's first album "PG-13", released on January 29, 2013. The album contained 12 songs, which included a cover of Ministry's 1984 single (Every Day Is) Halloween. Featured on the album are RuPaul, Amanda Lepore, Ana Mantronic, Alaska Thunderfuck, Armen Ra and Jane Country. "PG-13" debuted at number 186 on the US Billboard 200 chart, selling 3,000 copies in its first week. The album's first-week album sales were larger than RuPaul's 2011 album Glamazon. "PG-13" climbed up the iTunes Top Ten Pop Album Chart—reaching number 4, between Josh Groban and Justin Bieber.
For PG-13, Needles gave her audience what they wanted, while showcasing her punk-rock and horror-loving roots in the collection of tracks. Fit for airplay in the local mortuary, or the nearest dancefloor, sparkling pop gems such as "Call Me On the Ouija Board" and "I Wish I Was Amanda Lepore" were shockingly mainstream while "Everyday Is Halloween" and "Why Do You Think You Are Nuts?" seemed unforced, coming straight from the heart of a self-proclaimed weirdo.
The lead single off the album was This Club is a Haunted House Feat. RuPaul which was released on January 22, 2013.
- This Club Is A Haunted House (feat. RuPaul)
- Call Me On the Ouija Board
- Dead Girls Never Say No
- Drink Till I Die
- I Wish I Were Amanda Lepore (feat. Amanda Lepore)
- Why Do You Think You Are Nuts?
- Disco Ball
- Dressed To Kill
- Let's All Die
- Kai Kai (feat. Ana Matronic & Alaska Thunderfuck)
- (Everyday Is) Halloween (feat. Armen Ra)
- Hail Satan! (feat. Jayne County)
All Hail the Queen of Halloween! Sharon dropped her sophomore album, "Taxidermy", on October 31, 2015.
Nearly three years later, Needles has grown, becoming as much more precarious, "untrusting adult" and the maturity is evident in the lyrical content of her sophomore effort Taxidermy. Instead of metal and punk inspirations, the drag entertainer sticks with a more commercial, marketable EDM/pop sound, making the new release more polished and cohesive than her debut album. Preceded by lead single "Dracula" and released on Halloween, it's the perfect soundtrack for the dead souls walking the Earth... and in the nearest bathhouse.
The album track is simply as this: #1 Dead Dandelion, #2 Taxidermy, #3 Hollywoodn't, #4 Supernature, #5 Lucy, #6 Wendigo, #7Glow in the Dark!, #8 Scream, #9 The Damned, #10 Whammy.
Just in time for Halloween in 2018, spook queen Sharon Needles is back with her third studio album, Battle Axe.
“If you are looking for a fancy answer about what this shit means, you’re not gonna get it. Because Battle Axe -- they’re just fucking songs,” Needles explained of her third album. “I didn’t want to pour my heart out anymore. I didn’t want to hurt on stage every night. I didn’t want to be reminded of these things. I just wanted to write songs about shit I liked to talk about: scary shit and gross shit -- and actual shit, I have a song called ‘Dirty Diaper", as told in a interview with Billboard.
- "Season 4 is going to be canceled!"
- "Do I think I'm gonna win RuPaul's Drag Race? I dunno!"
- "I look spooky, but I'm really nice!... At least for now!"
- "Three words to describe Sharon Needles are Beautiful, Spooky, and Stupid."
- "You should have seen what me and Ru were on, at the limelight. It's all behind us now, we're on uppers, downers, and candy corns!" - As Michelle Visage in the "Snatch Game"
- "Though I may dabble in the black-arts when I hear RuPaul's music, I see the light!"
- "Dida Ritz, a lot of you girls like to clock me for painting my skin on the gray side, but I was inspired by your knees... and they're the same color as Willam's chin!"
- "Jiggly Caliente, you're such a fat slut, after sex you smoke hams!"
- "I LOVE PUSSY!"
- "Tired Ass Showgirl!"
- "Have you done porn? You should certainly consider it!"
- "Playing girly-ish and bouncy is something really foreign to me."
- "My hand works great on a snake."
- "I fully support gay divorce."
- "I have ‘dignity’ looks and ‘paycheck’ looks. Dignity is when I will not bend, for anyone. I don’t care if I make a dollar, I’m doin what I’m doin. Then there’s times the electric’s about to shut off so I dress up like Lady GaGa."
- "When in doubt, freak ‘em out."
- "I like spotlight, not sunlight."
- "There's nothing natural about me."
- "…she ordered those tears from China"
- "Damn those Chinese fingers are good"
- "I’m working with a DILK: A Dad I’d Like to Kill."
- "Well, I enjoy being down on a pole."
- "Latrice is taking me to church (with her lip-sync). I mean, my skin started smoking."
- "Being booed off stage is just an applause from ghosts!"
- "Don't kick over my packing peanuts!"
- Sharon is a vegetarian.
- Sharon is the first queen to win the cash prize of $100,000 and the first caucasian winner.
- In the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; June 12th is city recognized as Sharon Needles Day.
- Sharon Needles is the drag mother of Aquaria, the winner of Season 10, which makes Sharon and Aquaria the first drag mother and daughter duo to win the competition.
- Sharon made drag race herstory by being the first queen to win 4 challenges in one season. She was later followed by her ex-boyfriend Alaska in All Stars 2. Then Shea Coulee in Season 9. All tied with 4 wins.
Follow Sharon Needles
- Sharon's Website
- Sharon's Facebook
- Sharon's Instagram
- Sharon's Twitter
- Sharon on Apple Music
- Sharon on Wikipedia
4th: Latrice Royale (Miss Congeniality) • 5th: Kenya Michaels • 6th: Dida Ritz • 7th: Willam • 8th: Jiggly Caliente • 9th: Milan • 10th: Madame LaQueer • 11th: The Princess • 12th: Lashauwn Beyond • 13th: Alisa Summers
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales