Tyra Sanchez (James Ross) is the winner of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 2.
Her drag mother is Angelica Jones Sanchez. The Haus of Sanchez was founded by Tyra's drag-grandmother, pageant legend Stasha Sanchez.
A native of Gainesville, Florida, Ross moved to Orlando, where he resided for most of his life. Currently residing in Los Angeles. Ross performs throughout the United States and Canada and is a frequent drag impersonator of pop star Beyoncé Knowles.
Tyra is the second queen to get in the top 3 and not compete in any lip-sync, as well as the first winner to not lipsync.
RuPaul's Drag Race
During his time on RuPaul's Drag Race, Ross spoke candidly about his periods of homelessness and personal challenges prior to auditioning for and being selected to appear on the show. Ross' old-school drag style and glamour made him a favorite of the judges although his acerbic personality earned him the disdain of his fellow contestants. At the time he won the title, Ross was one of the youngest contestants to appear on RuPaul's Drag Race; he was also one of the few contestants on the show who never had to lip sync in order to avoid elimination prior to the season finale. After winning Drag Race, Ross served as a drag professor and mentor of beauty- and fashion-challenged women on the second season of RuPaul's Drag U.
RuPaul's Drag Race Stats
|Season Competed:||Season 2|
|Ranking:||1st Place (Winner)|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (ep. 9)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||3 (ep. 3, 5, 9)|
|Times in Bottom Two:||0|
- Tyra is the winner of Season 2
- Tyra won a total of 3 main challenges.
- Tyra was the first queen to win 3 maxi challenges.
- Tyra won the maxi challenges from episode 3, "Country Queens", episode 5, "Here Comes The Bride", and episode 9, "The Diva Awards".
- On episode 4, "Snatch Game", Tyra impersonated singer Beyoncé.
- Tyra is the 1st winner to have never ended up in the bottom two on any episode; 2nd being Bianca Del Rio, 3rd being Violet Chachki, 4th being Sasha Velour.
- Tyra is only the second contestant of eight in series history to reach the top 3 placings without ever ending up in the bottom two, Nina Flowers being the first in Season 1, Alaska Thunderfuck being the third in Season 5, Bianca Del Rio and Courtney Act being fourth and fifth in Season 6, Violet Chachki being sixth in Season 7, Kim Chi being seventh in Season 8 and Sasha Velour being eighth in Season 9.
- The prizes Tyra won for winning her season included a lifetime supply of Nyx Cosmetics, a spokesmodel role for nyxcosmetics.com, an exclusive one year public relations contract with LGBT firm Project Publicity, a featured spot in an LA Eyeworks campaign, a place on the Logo Drag Race tour, and a cash prize of $25,000.
- Tyra is the only contestant in series history to win the $25,000 cash prize, the second to lowest cash prize ever awarded on the show.
- Tyra is the first ever American-born season winner in series history to win the title of "America's Next Drag Superstar". Season 1's winner, Bebe Zahara Benet, was born in Cameroon.
- Tyra is the youngest season winner in series history, winning her season at age 21.
2011 – Look At Me
- During the Show (Season 2)
- "I'm not a bitch. I'm America's Sweetheart"
- "No, not Tyra, James is in the bible."
- "I actually based it off of my own son. He wakes up in the middle of the night to ask for a glass of water, and by the time I bring the water back to him, he's asleep again."
- "Beyoncé is just like me."
- "I'm doing Sasha Fierce, but, then again, I'm doing Beyonce."
- "If you have a problem with me, address it."
- "It's almost like saying "shut the f**k up or I'll make you shut up."
- "If I don't like you, I don't like you" - Tyra to Tatianna in Untucked.
- "Maybe next time I will sing and maybe she'll wear another horrible dress like she got on now." - Referring to Tatianna
- "Is this Jujubee here let me get to your level. Oh Ru, we got an undergrown orangutan." - Referring to Jujubee
- "Wow! I didn't even know I was nominated."
- "I am a star. I am America's Next Drag SUPERstar.
- "Raven lost. TWICE."
- Has a son named Jeremiah
- Her full drag name is Tyra-Symoné Sanchez. Tyra means the God of Battle and came from her niece’s name Tyra Nicole. She was born premature and was an inspiration since she fought for her life. Symoné is from Raven Symoné who she admires. Sanchez is from her drag family with Angelica Sanchez as her drag mother.
- Released his first single "Look at Me" in April 2011.
- Released a documentary about him being a drag queen and a father to a young son. It took over $16,000 to produce the documentary.
- Tyra is the first queen to ever win three challenges.
- In late May 2017, Tyra leaked Tatianna's phone number on her Instagram. After Tatianna leaked Tyra's number, she went live on facebook answering calls.
- Tyra later disabled her comments on Instagram after the incident
- She later posted a photo of her in the wedding challenge saying it was her wedding day all over again.
- In April 2018, her Twitter and Instagram got suspended.
- According to Tatianna, Tyra works at Amazon. This work experience has allowed Tyra to learn the ins and outs of the shipping industry and as a result personally ships her own merchandise. She said on Facebook she personally hand delivers merchandise to fans who live in Los Angeles County.
4th: Tatianna • 5th: Pandora Boxx (Miss Congeniality) • 6th: Jessica Wild • 7th: Sahara Davenport • 8th: Morgan McMichaels • 9th: Sonique • 10th: Mystique Summers • 11th: Nicole Paige Brooks • 12th: Shangela
Emanuel Palmer • Max "The Body" Philisaire