A native of Gainesville, Florida, Ross moved to Orlando, where he had resided for most of his life. Currently residing in Los Angeles. Ross performs throughout the United States and Canada and is a frequent drag impersonator of pop star Beyoncé.
RuPaul's Drag RaceDuring his time on RuPaul's Drag Race, Ross spoke candidly about his periods of homelessness and personal challenges prior to auditioning for and being selected to appear on the show. Ross' old-school drag style and glamour made him a favorite of the judges although his acerbic personality earned him the disdain of his fellow contestants. At the time he won the title, Ross was one of the youngest contestants to appear on RuPaul's Drag Race; he was also one of the few contestants on the show who never had to lip-sync in order to avoid elimination prior to the season finale. After winning Drag Race, Ross served as a drag professor and mentor of beauty- and fashion-challenged women on the second season of RuPaul's Drag U.
RuPaul's Drag Race Stats
|Season Competed:||Season 2|
|Ranking:||1st Place (Winner)|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (ep. 9)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||3 (ep. 3, 5, 9)|
|Times in Bottom Two:||0|
2011 – Look At Me (single)
2015 – Vogue (single)
2017 - Dear Drag Race Fans Book I (EP)
- "I'm not a bitch. I'm America's Sweetheart"
- "No, not Tyra, James is in the bible."
- "I actually based it off of my own son. He wakes up in the middle of the night to ask for a glass of water, and by the time I bring the water back to him, he's asleep again."
- "Beyoncé is just like me."
- "I'm doing Sasha Fierce, but, then again, I'm doing Beyoncé."
- "If you have a problem with me, address it."
- "It's almost like saying "shut the fuck up or I'll make you shut up."
- "Then why are you talking?" -To Tatianna in Untucked
- "If I don't like you, I don't like you" - Referring to Tatianna in Untucked.
- "Maybe next time I will sing and maybe she'll wear another horrible dress like she got on now." - Referring to Tatianna
- The fuck is that mean?! - Referring to Raven's lipstick message
- "Is this Jujubee here let me get to your level. Oh Ru, we got an undergrown orangutan."
- "Wow! I didn't even know I was nominated."
- "I am a star. I am America's Next Drag SUPERstar.
- "Raven lost. TWICE."
- Tyra is the youngest season winner in series history, winning her season at age 21.
- Tyra is the 1st winner to have never ended up in the bottom two.
- In addition, she is the 2nd contestant of 10 in series history to make it to the top 3 without having to lip-sync for her life.
- The prizes Tyra won for winning her season included: a lifetime supply of Nyx Cosmetics, a spokesmodel role for nyxcosmetics.com, an exclusive one year public relations contract with LGBT firm Project Publicity, a featured spot in an LA Eyeworks campaign, a place on the Logo Drag Race tour, and a cash prize of $25,000.
- Tyra is the only contestant in series history to win the $25,000 cash prize, the third lowest cash prize ever awarded on the show.
- Her full drag name is Tyra-Symoné Sanchez. Tyra means the God of Battle and came from her niece’s name Tyra Nicole who was born premature and was an inspiration to Tyra since she fought for her life. Symoné is from Raven Symoné who she admires. Sanchez is from her drag family.
- Tyra's drag mother is Angelica Sanchez Jones, an Orlando based performer.
- The Haus of Sanchez was founded by Tyra's drag-grandmother, pageant legend Stasha Sanchez.
- She is one of 4 Ru Girls to have children. The others are Nicole Paige Brooks, Tempest DuJour and Mrs. Kasha Davis.
- She has spoken publicly about becoming a father at 17 and has a son named Jeremiah who was born in 2005.
- On August 25, 2017, she announced on her twitter that she was expecting another child.
- In 2012 a Kickstarter campaign was set up to help fund "Drag Dad", a documentary that would center around Tyra and her life as a single father and a drag performer. The Kickstarted raised $20,641, surpassing its initial goal of $14,000. However, it is yet to be announced and has most likely seized production.
- In 2017 Tyra falsely announced the death of Morgan McMichaels in an attempt to promote her personal SoundCloud profile. Morgan denounced the announcement and Tyra underwent backlash from fans.
- Following the controversy, Tyra released her first EP titled "Dear Drag Race Fans Book I" on July 11, 2017
- In late May 2017, Tyra leaked Tatianna's phone number on her Instagram. After Tatianna leaked Tyra's number, she went live on her facebook answering calls.
- Tyra later disabled her comments on Instagram after the incident
- She later posted a photo of her in the wedding challenge saying it was her wedding day all over again.
- According to Tatianna, Tyra works at Amazon. This work experience has allowed Tyra to learn the ins and outs of the shipping industry and as a result, she personally ships her own merchandise. She said on Facebook she personally hand delivers merchandise to fans who live in Los Angeles County.
- In April 2018, Tyra was banned from DragCon after threatening Tatianna and Phi Phi O’Hara online.
- This makes her the first and only queen to be banned from DragCon.
- In addition to Tatianna and Phi Phi, Tyra threatened several fans on Twitter , which led to her Twitter and later, Instagram profiles being suspended.
4th: Tatianna • 5th: Pandora Boxx (Miss Congeniality) • 6th: Jessica Wild • 7th: Sahara Davenport • 8th: Morgan McMichaels • 9th: Sonique • 10th: Mystique Summers • 11th: Nicole Paige Brooks • 12th: Shangela
Emanuel Palmer • Max "The Body" Philisaire