| Vandalism Warning
Vandalism, bullying, insults, trash talking, and inappropriate edits or deleting will NOT be tolerated. Pages on this site are designated for constructive and factual contributions. Please reserve all personal opinions for the comments section.
Valentina is the stage name of James Leyva, a drag performer from Los Angeles, California. She is one of the 14 contestants who competed on the ninth season of RuPaul's Drag Race. She finished in seventh place and was voted Miss Congeniality by fans.
"Hello, it's me, Valentina!"
Rupaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed:||Season 9|
|Ranking:||7th (Miss Congeniality)|
|Mini-Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 8)|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||1 (Ep. 2)|
|Times in Bottom Two:||1 (Ep. 9)|
|Episode Eliminated:||Episode 9|
In this episode, the queens were challenged to make a look inspired by their hometown and remake their favorite Lady Gaga look. Valentina received positive critiques from the judges for her runway outfits. For the hometown look, she did a mariachi-themed outfit, representing Los Angeles. For the Gaga outfit, she chose Gaga's CFDA Awards 2011 dress and was praised for her runway walk, which Gaga herself said brought a tear to her eye. Ross Matthews said her hometown look was his favorite look. Valentina did not win, but was deemed safe by the judges.
Episode Two, "She Done Already Done Brought it On" In this episode, the queens had to learn choreography for a cheer routine. Valentina was picked last for the cheerleading teams due to her being relatively new to drag and ended up on Cynthia Lee Fontaine's team, dubbed "Team Cucu". Valentina was praised both for her performance in the challenge and for her bridal-inspired runway look, and was declared the winner of the challenge.
Episode Three, "Draggily Ever After" In this episode, the queens had to create their own fairytale princess and sidekick. Valentina chose to do an ice/winter theme for her Princess look, with a fairy as her sidekick. The judges praised her look and were surprised by her comedy. Valentina placed high in this challenge, but did not win.
Episode Four, "Good Morning Bitches" In this episode, the queens were challenged to create their own morning show. Valentina was on Aja's team and was also paired with Aja during the enter"taint"ment skit. She was on the winning team for this challenge, and was therefore declared safe.
Episode Nine, "Your Pilot's On Fire" In this episode, the main challenge was to create their own TV show pilot. Valentina and Nina Bo'nina Brown were paired together, and struggled with filming their TV pilot as they had not prepared a script and had to improvise. They were criticised for their lack of planning and organisation, and Michelle Visage commented that while she liked Valentina's runway look, it came across as more high fashion than club kid, which ultimately landed Valentina in the bottom two against Nina. She initially attempted to 'lipsync' with her mask covering her mouth, but RuPaul paused the performance to make her remove it, and it was then revealed she could not remember the lyrics to the song. RuPaul said that she thought Valentina could have made it all the way, but due to the disappointing lipsync, she sashayed away.
Much like Trixie Mattel and BenDeLaCreme, Valentina's elimination was a shock to most viewers, as she was considered to be one of the stronger contestants of Season 9. Many of her fans sent hate and death threats to Nina Bo'nina Brown and Alexis Michelle, the other two low-placing contestants in that episode, and both of them had to temporarily disable their comment sections on social media as a result.
During the reunion, several of the other queens (including Aja and Farrah Moan) objected to Valentina winning the Miss Congeniality vote. They argued that the Miss Congeniality prize is more of a popularity contest, and that Valentina should be crowned fan favorite instead as she was not seen to be the most congenial queen by her peers.
- "I'm glad these girls see me as a threat."
- "I was literally shaking, but I said to myself: Valentina, when in doubt, smile!"
- "I'm Valentina, I'm also Corny!"
- "I'm not gonna say nothing to that.." To Aja after her rant in Untucked
- "I lied you ugly stripper!"
- "I'd like to keep it on, please." - When asked by RuPaul to remove her mask for the lipsync
- "Farrah Moan, just shut up already." to Farrah Moan
- Deodorant, Bitch!
- Valentina was the first queen revealed for Season 9 during a Facebook live-stream, being interviewed by Michelle Visage.
- 'Valentina' comes from the Mexican hot sauce brand with the same name.
- She claimed to have only been performing professionally in clubs for 10 months at the time of filming for Season 9, and was accepted on her first time auditioning for the show.
- She revealed she was struggling with an eating disorder on the fifth episode of Season 9.
- Valentina won the 2015 club version of the Boulet Brothers' DRAGULA.
- Valentina considers the Virgin of Guadalupe, an apparition of the Virgin Mary that occurred in Mexico during colonial times, her drag mother.
- Valentina and Nina Bo'Nina Brown are the only queens so far to be stopped by RuPaul during a lipsync.
- Valentina is the first queen to participate in a lipsync with her mouth covered.
- Like Farrah Moan and Nina Bo'nina Brown, Valentina's elimination was leaked online prior to the episode airing.
- Valentina and Season 5 contestant Ivy Winters are tied for the second-lowest Miss Congeniality placement, as both came 7th on their respective seasons. Cynthia Lee Fontaine is the lowest-placing Miss Congeniality, coming in 10th on Season 8.
- Valentina's lip sync against Nina Bo'Nina Brown was ranked number 1 in MsMojo's "Top 10 Moments From RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9"
|2nd: Peppermint • 3rd/4th: Shea Couleé & Trinity Taylor|
|5th: Alexis Michelle • 6th: Nina Bo'nina Brown • 7th: Valentina • 8th: Farrah Moan • 9th: Aja • 10th: Cynthia Lee Fontaine • 11th: Eureka O’Hara • 12th: Charlie Hides • 13th: Kimora Blac • 14th: Jaymes Mansfield|
|RuPaul • Michelle Visage • Carson Kressley • Ross Mathews|
|Jason Carter • Miles Davis Moody • Bryce Eilenburg|