Drag Name Origin
Vanessa was named by her Drag Mother, Alexis Mateo. She was called Vanessa because she looks like Ursula's human form (also named Vanessa) from Disney's The Little Mermaid. She received "Vanjie" because Alexis can't pronounce "Banjee". She is a member of the Haus of Mateo, hence her surname.
RuPaul's Drag Race
|Season Competed||Season 10|
|Times as Team Captain:||0|
|Main Challenges Won:||0|
|Times in Bottom Two:||1 (Ep. 1)|
|Episode Eliminated:||Episode 1|
Episode One: 10s Across The Board
For her first main challenge, she was tasked with creating a runway outfit from miscellaneous items found at a variety store; inspired by the first challenge on Season 1. On stage, she was criticized by the judges for the shape of her dress, which according to them it looked like a "ball". Although she was praised for her energy and charisma, she was considered to have one of the worst outfits for that episode, along with fellow contestants Dusty Ray Bottoms and Kalorie Karbdashian-Williams.
Dusty was declared safe, while Vanessa and Kalorie landed in the bottom two and had to lip-sync against each other to Christina Aguilera's "Ain't No Other Man". Kalorie wins the lip-sync and Vanessa is eliminated from the competition.
As Vanessa exited the stage, she backed away and said her name three times in different tempos: "Miss Vanjie...Miss Vanjie...Miss...Vanjie..." This clip from her elimination lead to the creation of a popular Internet meme; fans have included the quote in image macros as well as clips from various TV shows and movies.
Opinions were divided between whether Vanessa or Kalorie should have gone home first. While some fans claimed that Vanessa deserved to stay as she was a contestant of great charm, many others considered her performance less entertaining than her opponent during the 'lip-sync'.
- "10s, 10s, 10s across the board!" (Season 10 Entrance)
- "Like a hooker on Rodeo Drive: she's kinda Ghetto but still like, you know, eloquent."
- "I got the call, bitch, I got the call!"
- "Get these cookies, baby!"
- "Bitch. RuPaul walks into the werkroom. I was gagged. It's like seeing the Loch Ness Monster. You hear a lot about it, but you never see it. So when you see it, bitch, you done."
- "I'm not Project Runway ready, but I got my patterns in my clutch so if you want me to make you a swimsuit, holla at ya girl."
- "Miss Vanjie. Miss Vanjie. Miss... Vanjie." (Season 10 elimination, Episode 1)
- "Stop the press! Xtina is in the building, baby!"
"Ladies I ❤ U The Vanjie way! xoxo Vanessa ❤!"
- Vanessa is the drag daughter of Alexis Mateo and Alexis's husband Jeffrey Kelley. The Mateo Empire includes Vanessa's sisters, Jenevive and Victoria Mateo.
- Vanessa quickly became a fan favorite when the first episode aired. Viewers call her the most iconic first-to-be-eliminated queen in Drag Race herstory.
- Vanessa is the most followed first eliminated queen on Instagram, with over 270,000 followers. Not counting season 2 first boot Shangela with nearly 710,000.
- According to other queens interviews, Vanessa said "Miss Vanjie" much more than what was shown in the edit. On the beginning of episode 2, you can hear a 4th "Miss Vanjie" in between the first and second "Miss Vanjie" in the episode 1 edit.
- Vanessa is the first queen to be sole focus on a MsMojo top 10 Drag Race list, ranking the best of the "Miss Vanjie" meme.
- Vanessa is the third queen to be eliminated on a "Drag on a Dime" challenge. The first queen to be sent home is Victoria "Porkchop" Parker of Season 1, and the second being Naysha Lopez of Season 8.
- The now-famous "Miss Vanjie" chant has eclipsed her full name and is chanted three times.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 'RuPaul's Drag Race:' The Very Best of the 'Miss Vanjie' Memes on Billboard
- ↑ https://youtu.be/JNh5Yan_kw0?t=1
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-odXTOjy_g