Yara Sofia is the stage name of Gabriel Burgos Ortiz, a drag performer originally from Puerto Rico, but now living in Las Vegas, Nevada. She is best known for competing in the third season of RuPaul's Drag Race, and later RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race; both in which she placed fourth. Her drag daughter is Amalara Sofia.
During the reunion special in Season 3, Yara won the title of Miss Congeniality, as voted for by fans of the show.
Drag Name Origin
The dance academy she used to work for produced a funny beauty pageant, and she was Miss Cuba. She was told to have a tropical Latin name so she was going to be Yara Sofia Carrasquillo. She chose Yara from her high school friend that was also a dancer who had beautiful legs. She used to wear heels before doing drag and everyone told her she had beautiful legs like her friend. Her friend chose her last name for her.
- Yara made a dress for Kimora Blac which Kimora had planned on wearing for the Season 9 finale.
- Yara Sofia appeared on the Reality Television competition Skin Wars, which is judged by RuPaul, as a model alongside other Drag Race queens during the episode "Miss Skin Wars", and ended up winning the titular pageant thanks to her assigned body painter, Allison.
- Yara and Miz Cracker hold the record for the longest time to win their first main challenge. They both took 10 episodes to do this.
- Yara is one of two queens who won the same number of challenges in two different seasons, winning 1 challenge in both seasons she competed in.
- The other one is Bebe Zahara Benet, Season 1 winner and All Stars 3 contestant.
4th: Yara Sofia (Miss Congeniality) • 5th: Carmen Carrera • 6th: Shangela • 7th: Delta Work • 8th: Stacy Layne Matthews • 9th: Mariah • 10th: India Ferrah • 11th Mimi Imfurst • 12th: Phoenix • 13th: Venus D-Lite
Jason Carter • Shawn Morales